Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13, 2014

I had my bike alarm on last night which the raccoons triggered. Scared them and they ran off so it looks like that is a good mechanism for keeping my food safe. I woke up to turkeys gobbling from across one side of the valley to the other.  The trees are just starting to bud, the red buds are coming out and look marvelous. It looks like it's going to be a hot, wonderful day.  I plan to ride to Williamsport, have a good meal there, and then proceed on if my legs allow.  I feel good, well rested, and very happy to be on this trip.  There's a wonderful life out here and all one has to do is get off the couch and seek it. My best to all back in Decatur and to the new friends that I've made along the trail. The general comment when meeting on the trail: "May the wind be at your back." That is  ever so true. That makes for a wonderful day.

Rose, the proprietor of the Desert Rose Café in Williamsport, is a sweetheart. She filled all my water bottles, making certain that I had good icewater, and served me not one but two breakfasts.  They are a bike friendly establishment and a joy to be around. I highly recommend this café if you are riding through.  Yahoo, the Desert Rose Café!!!  I loved it and you will too.




















1/44th of the way






10 comments:

  1. Just reviewed your posts with kids. All here interested in your progress and keeping our fingers crossed the rain we are getting here splits and goes around you!
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Dean, rained like crazy yesterday, very cold, very muddy! Today is a day of rest but I have completed the Chesapeake and Ohio portion of the trip. Now it's onto the great Allegheny passage.

      Delete
  2. Hey this is the Backpacking Believers! We met you on the C & O Canal trail... We are in Harpers Ferry, WV. Glad you made it this far! Good luck and Lord Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings backpacker believers, so nice to meet you and great to have you following the blog. Keep up the great hiking will see you on the West Coast. Keep smiling and have fun!

      Delete
  3. I've thought of the song "Devil Knows You're Dead" by Delta Spirit several times when thinking about your trip and after you comment, I had to share. Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3srfYWKORM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song Kevin! Thank you for sending the link. Having a great trip, wonderful experience, look forward to seeing you on the West Coast. Love, Steve

      Delete
  4. Awesome song! I downloaded it for both Steve and me. -- Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're making great progress! Glad you're having such a great time. Love you! --Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures Steve, sure looks a lot better than the best day at the office. Tom Weigand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Tom, having a great time, seeing some beautiful country, and meeting great people! Thank you for following the blog, my love to all, Steve

      Delete