Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Cascade, IA

If it looks like Tom Weigand and I are beat it is because we are indeed! Very strong winds straight into our face during most of the ride and it was exhausting. Traveled from Lowden, Iowa, to Cascade, Iowa...a distance of about 38 miles. Normally trying for about 45 miles; we were lucky to get what we did today. Winds are brutal and looks to be more the same tomorrow.  Thank you Tom and Beth Weigand for your wonderful hospitality and a special thanks to Tom for riding with me today. That was over and beyond the call of duty, especially with conditions being what they were.

Patrick Orr owner of the Maid-Rite Diner has probably one of the most unique stories to tell.  Starting last April his cafĂ© started being visited by a ghost! This Apparition was even caught on their surveillance video camera!  This got the attention of the local news station, the police department, and those interested in the paranormal spirit world.  Needless to say, he's become the center of attention and people are still trying to figure out if it really was a ghost. Cups and spatulas flying...shadowy figures over the sink... all of this is been part of the ordeal and even caught on camera! Patrick took Tom Weigand and me back to his computer where we could look at the video camera as well as the newscast that was done on this particular event. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited as this has been the first paranormal event on this bicycle trip. Good job, Patrick!  Hey ghost, sir, if you would bring a hamburger in the middle the night to me, I would be most appreciative. 
Steve eating a great hamburger after a ghastly ride in a ghostly restaurant.
http://www.kwwl.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=10136090&at1=News&h1=Cascade&rnd=77309840


6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are in IOWA!!!! This is Becky, your friend from the campground on the C&O canal. Does it feel like a lifetime ago? You have gone so far, met so many interesting people, had headwinds and tailwinds, sunshine and rain! I saw you had a 75 mile day. You are awesome! I feel like a lazy bum by comparison. So glad to see your positive attitude remains intact and that you continue to celebrate the simple pleasures of life on a bike. I had shown my parents your post when I got home from DC and they were touched by your words, but I couldn't post a comment at that time for some reason. I will continue to follow you here, you are bookmarked now so i will be counting on you for some vicarious adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Becky, of course I remember you! We shared a campsite with the raccoons that night, remember? I'm so glad you're following the blog, and I will be sure to keep the adventures coming, God willing. Long ago? Not really, it's just one of the many wonderful adventures as I travel to this great country of ours. Let me know how you're doing, if you're working, or if you continuing with the adventures. Best regards, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. What time do the winds pick up? Can you beat them by leaving earlier or later? Seems the winds are bad all over the country. We have had super strong winds here, as well. Keep on pedaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more like when do the wind stop, never! There are times when the winds aren't as bad, or even times when the winds blow in the right direction, but for the last several days the winds have not been in my favor. You take the good with the bad, that's all part of the experience. Right now I'm in the town where "Field Of Dreams" was filmed so I may hold over and take in the sights.

      Delete
  4. Hey if I were a ghost I'd hang out near the ice cream too. Yum! Love you! Em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steve,

    It was really great to have had a chance to meet you....safe travels on the remainder of your journey. Tom filled me in on some of the stories of previous adventures : )

    J Butler

    ReplyDelete