Sunday, May 18, 2014

La Crescent, MN






Had a great day of bicycling and rode more than 50 miles...all of it along the Mississippi River Valley area. Unbelievable scenery, minimal headwinds, and nice roads made for good travel. I left Iowa and entered Minnesota today. I can look across the river and see Wisconsin. I left Harpers Ferry, Iowa, this morning and headed towards Lansing to New Albin where I then crossed into Minnesota. From there I went to Brownsville and I'm presently in La Crescent, Minnesota. Contacted the police department to find a place to camp and Officer Lori set me up at Veterans Park near the American Legion. I had a dinner of fried shrimp, french fries, and a cold beer. The sleeping bag will feel terrific tonight!




Sleeping at Veterans Park tonight.  They had an old Charlie model which I had someone take my picture in front of.


I would sit behind the copilot with my foot on the skid so I could be the first one out.














 Roll-on Mississippi, roll-on. Getting close to Minnesota.



My first bicyclist, Steve Chatteron



4 comments:

  1. Greetings from the Indiana farmer. I've been rained out of the fields for a week now so I got a chance to catch up on your travels. You are making progress! Sorry about the rains and wind. Good to see you are experiencing the hospitality of America. We all appreciate meeting someone who has taken the time to slow down and take a break from the busyness of life to appreciate the greatness of our country... the people and the land, every crack in the pavement worth. Keep pedaling and taking it all in!
    Kevin Kiser
    Royal Center, Indiana farmer
    kevinakiser@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, did you get all the rocks out of the field. On that day I came very close to trading my bicycle for your tractor. And I think you were willing to make the trade as well. Hope you and your sons get to take this track. It is a life-changing event as you well know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so impressed with your progress. We had a nice, sunny weekend in Seattle. Lots of trips to the beach and a nice visit with Matt. I'm feeling well. I can't believe I only have 4 wks until the baby gets here. Keep up the great work. It seems like this trip is turning into all that you hoped it would be and more! Love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank's very much for visiting our part of Iowa and taking in our panoramic views of the upper Mississippi River. Best of luck with the rest of your journey, you're an inspiration to many.
    Dan
    Dan Howard | Executive Program Director
    MAIN STREET LANSING
    Call- 563 538 9229

    ReplyDelete