Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cumberland Trail connection

First thing after a great breakfast at the Hotel on Decatur, had my bike worked on at the Cumberland Trail connection. Bike is tuned up, ready to go and I'm ready as well. Staying at the Fairfield Hotel tonight and I will leave at six in the morning... My next destination is The Great Allegheny Passage.  While still not paved, it will not be nearly as rough as the Chesapeake and Ohio Towpath. This'll be my first exposure to steep uphill as I go over the Allegheny Mountains and the Eastern Continental divide. I plan to sleep well tonight, take off early in the morning, and give it my best.  Wish me luck as I have no idea what amenities lay ahead. Remote campsites are not nearly as prevalent nor places to stay.  I will tackle it as I'm confronted with each challenge. Wish me luck and best wishes to all.

2 comments:

  1. I will post this comment from David Burke and hope it gets through OK. -- Andrea

    I am having trouble getting my comments to post on your page, so I will go with the 'old fashion' route - email! I am so happy to hear your trip is going well thus far. We have sure enjoyed tracking your progress as well as seeing the people you meet along the way. I am sure you have hundreds of moments etched in your brain, so it is fun to see and hear a story or two that you have experienced thus far. Also, what a great write up in the Herald and Review - Such a tribute to you and an inspiration to all of us.


    I think of you often and look forward to 'riding along' with you. You are a special person Steve and someone who has touched a lot of lives...I am better off having known you and take a piece of you with me as I go along in this life. It is a good life we are blessed to have been a part of, not a perfect one by any means, but when you boil it down, it is amazing we get to experience the wonder of it all...


    Thank-you again for sharing your journey with us...both this journey and previous ones...we look forward to the adventures ahead!


    Be well,


    David, Lauren, Colin, and Louie


    PS...My folks send their love and I know are tracking your blog as well. My mom hasn't been able to write comments thus far either, but wanted me to pass along that they send their love and prayers and wish you Godspeed, which I understand on a bike is like 21st gear going down hill with the wind behind you, so hold on tight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a dramatic elevation profile! I know the general area but from I-68, and keep myself alert by memorizing the mountains and elevations using the nice signs put up by the Maryland highway department. Hope biking it isn't as challenging as the elevation profile suggests!

    ReplyDelete