Thursday, April 24, 2014

You never know who you'll meet



I do believe the most fun experiences related to traveling by bicycle has to do with the people you meet. Case in point, Jenny Etain and her Turkish boyfriend were a couple that I met in a coffee shop in Ohio. They had returned from three years in Turkey and were home visiting Jenny's family.  They overheard me asking for directions for a bicycle safe route, intervened, and offered the use of their computer to investigate options.  Soft-spoken, very gracious, and very approachable, I immediately took to them.  In the course of our conversation I asked what they did. Jenny responded "I'm a belly dancer."  "No way!"  Yes, that was indeed the case and she's an artist. Jenny showed me some of the films of her dancing, and needless to say she's very graceful, very pretty, and very talented.  It was a pleasure meeting you both. I wish you safe travels, great dancing, and the love of the world.
Lt. Carr


I met Mr. Carr who had been a lieutenant with the fourth division in Vietnam one year before I arrived in country.  He served in the same areas where I served, therefore fed the mosquitoes and every other insect known to man that ultimately fed on me a year later.  Perhaps our only accomplishment was we kept the insect species vibrant, healthy, and perpetuating into the future.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are posting your adventure across our great nation. We talk about your adventure from time to time during the morning stretches. I'll have to make sure that I update everyone in the morning.
    In other news, my oldest passed his board of review and is now an Eagle Scout. He hopes to do just a few of the adventures that you have done.
    Take care my friend. May you always have a tailwind and smooth roads. Safe journeys.
    Kevin Whited

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great hearing from you Kevin. Congratulations on your son's Eagle Scout achievement. That is terrific! Thanks for following the blog, it's good to know that my friends are back there rooting me on. Best regards, Steve

    ReplyDelete