Thursday, April 24, 2014

Into Ohio


What great people! Doug and Terry went way out of their way to make certain that I was fed, kept warm, and enjoyed my stay in their lovely home.  Their two daughters are not only pretty but witty and very good bike riders.  Doug posted a great video that covered their ride through the Chesapeake and Ohio towpath as well as the Allegheny. It was so fun to watch!  I really enjoyed my stay here, and it was so nice that in the morning Doug rode with me to assure that I got off safely.  Traffic has been a bit of a challenge here in Ohio.  Today I hope to hit smaller roads, confront less traffic, and be able to relax as I did on the bicycle trails.  Doug and Terry, thank you for a great time at your place. I may have just been hungry but I do believe that was the best spaghetti that I ever ate!




The Kempthorne Family
My Warm Showers hosts in Homeworth, OH
Home sweet home for the night--Doug's "office"



Someone, without naming who, bought my breakfast because it was always their desire to ride across the United States. I guess the waitress told them about my trip and they bought my breakfast as they were leaving. I had no opportunity to thank my mysterious benefactor.  I in turn paid for another breakfast without telling them who it was.

6 comments:

  1. It’s been fun reading your blog updates. You obviously are being successful at not watching the news so let me summarize the current events for you. Political parties still don’t see eye to eye on any issues so no change in anything, only change in US is through executive order from the presidency to unconstitutionally go around congress, big countries see greener grass across their borders and want to snack on it, and Illinois is still broke (but we want to give Obama $100 million for his presidential library).



    I’m envious of your travels and glad you are reassuring us that it’s the people that make a great country!

    Stay safe!

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, thank you for the update. Sounds like the world is on a steady keel as always. I love the way you stated it all, very witty. Heavy rain, strong headwind, lots of hills, tough bicycling today. Managed to get just under 50 miles in today. Keep smiling, keep us on the tracks, and your day will come. Best regards, Steve

      Delete
  2. Life is good. The best breakfasts I ever have are the ones I buy for someone who doesn’t know I did it. I did this exact thing a couple weeks ago. Enjoy the ride.
    RK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a good man Randy! I will give you my itinerary and you can sneak into the restaurants and buy my breakfast for me. Great hearing from you, keep the crew in line, and keep enjoying life.

      Delete
  3. Hi Steve –
    I know I’m not on your e-mail distribution, but I just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your blog! I love the pictures and the stories you are telling. What an adventure you are having! I know not everything is perfection, but I have to admit, I am a little envious of your experiences and the opportunity to encounter all of the people that you have. It takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing but I am sure it is extremely rewarding!
    Travel safe! And continue to make lots of new friends!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear from you Chris! I am indeed having a great time and you are indeed right, it's not always perfect. You take the good with the bad, you weigh it, and the good always outweighs the bad!

      Delete