Wednesday, April 23, 2014

April 22, 2014

In Weirton, West Virginia, I met my first "road angels." What was really nice about this was that I did not seek them out, but they sought me out recognizing that I was in need of help.  Well experienced in travel, they can see when a fellow traveler is experiencing problems.  Unfortunately, Weirton, West Virginia, while very beautiful, is not bicycle friendly.  From the standpoint of roads, there is no shoulder and those present are in disrepair, signage is minimal, and the traffic heavy.  I left from Weirton rather late, and I attempted to travel from Weirton to E. Liverpool on Hwy 2.  It simply wasn't safe.  Don and Sharon Green intervened, welcomed me into their home and their lives, give me a place to stay for the night, and then helped me plan a course through the rough spots.  They have agreed to convey me to East Liverpool (a distance of some 10 to 15 miles) and from there I will resume my ride.  What fun people - and kindred spirits. They're incredibly well-traveled, resourceful, and possess a strong business spirit. Don is a hyperkinetic free spirit loaded with ideas, has a number of inventions (some of which are laying around the house), and is in the process of building an airplane in their basement.  Sharon has done a little bit of everything from teaching to being a booking agent for a number of well-known groups, and a partner in the business that they run out of their home.  They have decided to sell out, buy a boat, and sail around the world.  They see this as a great escape, a way to refresh their creativity.  Totally fun folks!



8 comments:

  1. It was all our pleasure. Stephen, you are a most gracious guest and great guy. I was tempted to load my saddle bags and ride with you. The stimulating conversation is hard to beat around here. Take care and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it, we are cut from the same pattern. Get your boat, let us know where you are docked and we will bring the spirits and good cheer. Warmest regards, Steve

      Delete
  2. Next time, I won't allow a picture at 7:30am. Vaya con Dios, Stephan! Please let us hear from you on your journey West. PS: Moppet sends Poodle kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you are beautiful 24 seven. So wonderful to meet you. Warmest regards, Steve

      Delete
  3. Keep going Stephen! I look forward to your posts every day. You have so many more wonderful people to meet, and sights to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, So glad to have you following the blog. Having a great time and I love sharing it with others. Thanks for following.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you are in good hands. On your SPOT page a couple of days ago, I could see that you had turned around and headed back to Weirton. It is comforting to know there are "road angels" out there looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the road angels have been working overtime on my behalf.

      Delete