Monday, May 5, 2014

Home visit

Maggie:  "uhhh...who ARE you?"


What a great day of bicycling, almost perfect weather!  After a great night's sleep in the Iroquois Community Center and a nice big breakfast, it was off to Odell as my destination where Andrea would meet and pick me up for a short visit home.  Knocked out 65 miles in little over half a day, felt strong to the end, wind was at my back most of the way.  So wonderful to see Andrea and Maggie, and what a treat being home this evening!  Left my bicycle in Washington, Illinois, for a much needed refitting and service after doing close to 1000 miles, much of it on dirt and gravel roads.  The chain was completely worn out; new brakes and a much needed adjustment to the gear system were in order as well.  All in all, my bicycle performed magnificently and I've become quite attached to it, carrying on long conversations with "Traveler" as we roll through the miles hours after hour, after hour, after hour... SO WONDERFUL TO BE HOME FOR A SHORT VISIT!



For those of you following the Spot Buddy, you can see exactly where I was picked up, to where we traveled to have the bike serviced, and what route we took to get home. I forgot to turn the darn thing off...darn tattletale anyway!
After not being in an automobile for a month, it was quite an experience traveling at 65 miles an hour... A lot for the brain to process at that speed.

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy your stay home. I'll be watching until the 20th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have made it this far. It is amazing to see what you have accomplished so far and being self supported even more. Enjoy your home stay and soak in the comforts of home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is Jerry Morrison? That's our friend. From England. Didn't realize they made two of them.
    Must be great to be home. When we did our walking trip in Italy, we rode a bus on our 8th day- last day. It was a trip to see how quickly the bus covered what took us days to walk. You have inspired Arnold and I to talk a lot about a possible walking trip through parts of US when we retire. I walk, he drives, is what he has told me. I call Shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you guys...biking is little more fun than walking! When the wind is blowing it's brutal though. Back on the road again.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you made it home safe. I'm sure it felt amazing to sleep in your own bed, do laundry, eat a good meal, have a nice shower... Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Steve. Sharon and I keep thinking of you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeting Don and Sharon,
      So good to hear from you and I trust that you are slowing divesting all of your treasures so that you can secure the vessel for your seafaring adventure. When it comes time to christen the boat, Andrea and I want to supply the champagne. Take care mate, keep your head turned to the sea and your dreams fine tuned to the next great adventure.

      Delete
    2. And Moppet says hello to Maggie!

      Delete
  6. Hey Steve, I am one of those having trouble posting. I'll try this one and if not successful, will send through Andrea. Loving following your posts, and my knees hurt just reading your exploits! May the wind move to your back and the skies produce many sunny days for you!! Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  7. No place like home. Thanks for sharing this journey thus far. Can't wait to see what the rest of the adventure brings. - Brian Parker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Brian, so great to hear from you! The trip has been outstanding so far. I have met so many interesting people and seen such incredible scenery! Say hi to the gang.

      Delete
  8. Praying for you, Steve, and enjoying your blog. You're making good progress. I was wondering if you took your bike to Russell's Cycling and Fitness in Washington for the "tune up." Joe and Cheryl are our son-in-law's parents. Glad you had a brief stop at home! Safe travels on the next leg.

    Sig Bjorklund

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the prayers, I certainly feel them on this trip. Russells is indeed the place, they are great folks, glad to hear that they are family.

    ReplyDelete