Monday, July 28, 2014

Campground East of Diablo Lake to Concrete, Washington

After awaking from a near comatose state after all of yesterday's passes, I could hardly walk.  It is not that my legs were particularly sore, was more like they were stumps bracing my body up!  I started a breakfast of freeze dried eggs...YUCK!  I made coffee for the Goggin family and they reciprocated by feeding me pancakes...YUM!!!
After passing through the towns of Diablo and Newhalem I arrived in Marblemount and consumed a HUGE breakfast which I followed up with two servings of freshly baked, warm, blackberry pie served with ice cream. I was about to order a third helping of blackberry pie when the waitress made the comment that she hadn't seen anybody eat that much food in a long time... I sheepishly paid my bill and wished that I had gone ahead and ordered a third helping of pie!!  It seems with all this peddling, I just can't get enough food into my body. Between the need for calories and hydration, my poor body is taking a beating.
I bicycled on to Rockport where there were no services, so had to travel on to Concrete. Very hot and exhausting day so I did less than 50 miles. Checked into a hotel, washed my clothes in a creek, will go to bed as soon as they're dry, and I plan to hit the road very early tomorrow to avoid the heat. It is 59 miles to Anacortes, where I plan to head south on Highway 20 to Whidbey Island, where I will catch the ferry to the mainland just north of Seattle. At that point my adventure will be over. So it is Anacortes tomorrow and completion of the trip the day after.
Speerson's Chinese Laundry

5 comments:

  1. So are you going to turn around and come back on your bike, or what? I mean, this blog is way too much fun to follow and I am not sure who I am going to live vicariously through once you are done...soooo, how about you just ride your bike back to DC. For your troubles, I will personally bake you a pie, smother it in Wisconsin ice cream, and promise not to make any gluttonous comments.
    Just think about it,
    David Burke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhhhh....no, Steve. Do not think about it!!
    Andrea ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS YOU DID IT. I knew you would. You always accomplish what you set your mind to doing. I love you little brother. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE are not ready for it to end!
    We too have lived vicariously through your blog, never ceasing to be amazed at your perseverance! We sure hope you plan on retelling your story with ALL the photos when you return. Amazing! If you have not yet reached the finish line, we know you are close! Pedal on dear friend! Vicki & Don

    ReplyDelete