Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Whidbey Island to Mukilteo, WA - the mainland and THE END



I awoke early after a great night's sleep at Rhododendron State Park. After breakfast of coffee and Top Ramen, I just laid back and listened to the wind blowing through the pines and watched the fog roll in from the ocean. So peaceful, so pleasant, and so nice to have the park all to myself.
After a short ride I found myself at Greenback Store and Grill where I had a great breakfast and a great conversation with Brian Cedar. About my age, he was semiretired when he and his wife Nancy decided to relocate to Whidbey Island and reopen Greenback Store and Grill.
Brian talked about the island, the history of the store, and the life that he and his wife had led.  Their daughter, who is autistic, played a role in their decision in that they decided to open a family business where all could participate and contribute with the skills available to them. Contented with their decision, living in a beautiful area, it was great company.

Greenback Store and Grill has been in continuous operation since 1904. One of the oldest in Washington. The proprietor, Brian Cedar, came out of semi retirement to own and operate this store as a family project. Blessed with an autistic daughter, Brian and his wife Nancy made the decision to take on a project that would not only give them pleasure but would help their young daughter achieve her full potential. I spent about an hour talking with Brian about life in general, about autism, and the path life takes us on. Brian is just one of many of the wonderful people that I've met across this nation that make it such a great country. If you would like to read more about Brian, his family, and his daughter go to: Facebook.com/greenback grille. Brian and Madison (who works for Brian) are pictured here and if you want a great breakfast wrap, visit Madison at the Greenback Store and Grill on Whidbey Island.

When I was leaving, the bakery goods began to arrive! Fresh-baked with an aroma so wonderful it makes your knees weak; these culinary delights were a sight to behold!


Stacy Habeck, owner and operator of the Screaming Banshee Bakery. She has a truck load of her organic goodies; needs an armed guard to protect her wares.



 
The rest of the trip down the island had me confronting a series of climbs that were much steeper than anticipated. Knowing that it was my last day, I was able to prevail. The ferry ride was a delight and a wonderful way to end the trip.
 

  
Kevin, my son-in-law, picked me up for the short ride to their home. After a wonderful visit, a great bath, and some good food, it was time to relax.
I am so pleased that I have found a good home for Traveler.  Kevin will use it to commute to his teaching position at Seattle University. Not only did it convey me across the country, but it now will convey my son-in-law to school where he will mold young minds into mature and responsible adults. I can think of no better home for Traveler.




Milliliter Lightstation


 

12 comments:

  1. You did it!! With perseverance, dreams do come true! We have loved joining you on this journey!
    Congratulations, well done and thank you for letting us tag along!!
    Vicki & Don

    "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." Hebrews 12:1-2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been wonderful having you on board with me through this trip. Your inspiring words kept me going over some of the roughest hills.

      Delete
  2. Steve: What an exciting adventure! Thanks for sharing it. I'd like ti invite you to share this experience with a group of older adults at First United Methodist Church in Decatur on Thursday, October 23rd, at 10:30 a.m. Please contact me at mileypalmer@comcast.net. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be my pleasure to speak to one and all. I will need to check with Andrea to verify that we would be free on that day.

      Delete
  3. Steve, I'm so happy to meet your lovely family in this last posting. Please apologize to Traveler for me for making that mistake about "her" gender...should have known...what's that quote about "every good man having a female to thank for his success"! (Forgive me, I just couldn't resist.) From what I've been reading, you are fortunate to have SEVERAL, more than special females, in your life. What a blessing.

    I am so going to miss your daily words, but maybe these from 3 John: 1:2 will follow and strengthen you through your numbered days: "Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers." Go in peace, your white dove, Jan T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jan, I must thank you from the bottom my heart for your very warm and lovely comments through the latter stages of my trip. It has been such a joy to meet you and so many other fine people who followed and supported my efforts. I will miss the camaraderie as well as the challenge of the road. Stay tuned because in approximately 2 to 3 weeks we will send the names that I carried aloft in weather balloons along with their histories in hopes of catching the jetstream going east along with notes to deliver the packages, if found, back to the Vietnam Memorial. In this way, these nine troopers will have crossed the country twice, once by bicycle and once by air. This will be the final salute to these nine troopers cutdown too early in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulation Steve, I'm proud of your accomplishment.
    I've lived vicariously thru your adventure and enjoyed your trip and your writing.
    Keep in touch.
    Dave Planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip Dave! Highly recommended once you retire. Very best regards.

      Delete
  6. You did it! What a journey. Thank you for the inspiration. Your joie de vivre has been contagious, even through the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve

    Congratulations on completing this trip of a life time. I wish I could have joined you for a portion of your journey. You must have legs of steel now. Something tells me that this will not be your last adventure. Hopefully our paths will cross again someday.

    Regards
    Don Duhart
    Novozymes NA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Steve!! I am simply in awe of your accomplishment, and even more so, the driving force that kept you going through many tough, windy, days. You are such a fine example of courage and commitment.

    Proud to be your friend.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don and I were wondering if you had completed your trip. So happy for your accomplishments and that you are at home sweet home once again. What an adventure! We're still planning ours and will keep you informed....

    All the best,
    Sharon, Don and Moppet

    ReplyDelete