Saturday, May 10, 2014

Been a hard ride but I was welcomed with open arms in Cambridge, Illinois. Heard that the American Legion was a good place to have a meal, so I went there and ordered. They were asking where I was riding to and from. I explained the details of the trip and the next thing I knew they were buying my lunch. Cambridge is a beautiful city, small, but so peaceful and true Americana.  The courthouse is beautiful as can be seen in the attached picture.  
Here's a picture of the crew at the American Legion, and a picture of the Vietnam/MIA ornament that they asked me to carry along on the trip. They asked that I include Jerry Tharp, U.S. Army National Guard, killed in Iraq, with the souls on board.  Welcome aboard Jerry on our trip to Seattle. Thank you for your service.





The Charm has been given a place of honor on my bicycle as we travel to Seattle.  People across the country continue to astound me with their kindness!


Home sweet home for the night
Nothing fancy but it will keep the rain out. Staying in Orion, IL, for the night. Will attempt Muscatine tomorrow if the winds are favorable. Happy Mother's Day, Andrea. I'll be thinking of you.


3 comments:

  1. Tom wonders if you know there is a bike trail from Cedar Rapids (Ely actually) to Waterloo. It would be smooth sailing if you are wanting to head north. Tom also said he would be happy to pick you up if you get anywhere near here and you can spend the night. He would like to ride with you the next day.
    Wishing you tail winds!
    Tom and Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all goes well I should arrive in Muscatine tomorrow. Timing after that is a bit up in the air. From Muscatine I go to Bennet, Bennet to Lowden, Lowden to Massillon and then on to Oxford Mills to Oxford Junction to Wyoming then Onslow and Cascade. Are any of those close to you? Would love to see you, just have to see if it fits with your schedule, and assuming that my 65 year old legs just keep pumping. You can see exactly where I am by tracking my spot. On the right-hand side of the blog there is a link to spot. It shows exactly where I am at any particular time. Wind has been brutal at times and this dictates my progress. Today wasn't too bad and I managed 55 miles. Big winds, like big water, always wins.
      Best regards,
      Steve

      Delete
  2. I look forward to your post every day Steve. Keep it up! You have many awesome people to meet and exciting adventures ahead.

    ReplyDelete